When it comes to chicken feeders, there are a lot of different options available on the market. But one of the most popular types is the chicken treadle feeder. So, are they good? Let’s take a look.
What is a chicken treadle feeder and how does it work?
A chicken treadle feeder is a type of chicken feeder that uses a treadle mechanism to dispense food. Basically, there is a plate or tray that the chickens stand on, and when they step on it, the plate opens up and dispenses a portion of food.
Then, when they step off, the plate closes and the food is protected from the elements and other animals.
There are different mechanisms in treadle feeders. Some are gravity-based, while others use a spring-loaded mechanism. There are also some that use a combination of both.
Pros and Cons of chicken treadle feeders
There are both pros and cons to using chicken treadle feeders. Let’s take a look at some of the main ones.
- Treadle feeders can help to keep your chickens healthy by preventing them from overeating.
- They also help to keep the food clean and dry, as the food is only exposed when the chicken steps on the treadle.
- Treadle feeders can also help to keep other animals out of your chicken’s food, as they can only be accessed when the chicken is on the treadle.
- They are a great way to stop chickens from wasting food, as they can only eat what is dispensed.
- Treadle feeders can be expensive, depending on the type you buy.
- They can also be difficult to clean, as the food can get stuck in the mechanism.
- Chickens can also waste food if they play with the treadle or don’t eat all of the food that is dispensed.
Overall, chicken treadle feeders have both pros and cons. You will need to decide if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for your own flock.
Which type of chicken treadle feeder is best for your flock?
If you decide that a chicken treadle feeder is right for your flock, then you will need to decide which type of feeder to buy. There are many different types and designs available on the market, so it’s important to do some research to find the best one for your needs.
Some factors you will need to consider include the size of your flock, the type of food you will be feeding them, and your budget.
You can also get chicken treadle feeders that are automatic, which means they will dispense a certain amount of food at regular intervals. This can be helpful if you are not able to be around to refill the feeder regularly.
Overall, chicken treadle feeders can be a great addition to your flock. They have many benefits, but there are also some drawbacks that you will need to consider. Be sure to do your research to find the best type of feeder for your needs before making a purchase.
How to install a chicken treadle feeder
If you have decided that a chicken treadle feeder is right for your flock, then you will need to know how to install it properly. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- First, you will need to find a suitable location for your feeder. It should be in a dry and sheltered spot, out of the reach of predators.
- Once you have found a location, mark out where you want to place the feeder. Then, dig a hole that is big enough for the base of the feeder.
- Next, place the base of the feeder into the hole and make sure it is level. Then, fill in the hole around the base with soil.
- Attach the treadle plate to the feeder using the screws that are provided. Make sure it is secure and level.
- Fill the feeder with food, making sure not to overfill it. Then, put the lid on and your chicken treadle feeder is ready to use!
When using a chicken treadle feeder, it’s important to check it regularly to make sure it is clean and functioning properly. Be sure to clean out any old food that has accumulated and refill it as needed. With proper care, your chicken treadle feeder will provide years of use for your flock.
Chicken treadle feeders are a great way to keep your flock healthy and fed. They have many benefits, such as preventing chickens from overeating, keeping food clean and dry, and keeping other animals out of the food. However, they can be expensive and difficult to clean. Chickens can also waste food if they play with the treadle or don’t eat all of the food that is dispensed. If you decide to use a chicken treadle feeder, be sure to do your research to find the best one for your needs and follow the instructions carefully to ensure it is installed properly. With proper care, your chicken treadle feeder will provide years of use for your flock.